Saturday, July 28, 2012

Palengka or Flea Market











Welcome to the Filipino Palengka. There is one in every town and this is where most of the shopping is done.  The people of the town will go to the market to purchase fruits and vegetable, eggs and meats.  They will also go there to find household items and clothing.  It is a fascinating place with a plethera of merchants and hangers on.  I like to bargain with the barda.  These individuals are flamboyant and have a flare and a presence that make bargaining with them fun.  Everyone asks for and even expects a discount. Pwede pong tumawad? So far, I have purchased my very stylish blue boots, a big green umbrella and some bandanas.  I plan on returning for some cotton shoes that are Tom knock offs.  This does not mean that I would not purchase the authentic Tom shoes if given an opportunty, but frankly I do not have access to the real deal. There is one other item that I purchased and that is a bag of rambutam.  This is a lovely fruit that comes from the leeche family.  The palengka is a great place to wander in and see the merchandise.

No comments:

Post a Comment