Friday, May 25, 2012

The Best Exotic Magnolia Hotel






The Best Exotic Magnolia Hotel is charming.  That is an adjective that I do not use often but in this instance, it is dead on.  My friend, Mary, asked me about the symbolism in the movie and after I paused for a moment, I had to admit that I had found none.  So, I went digging to find out a bit more about this British comedy - drama.  It is based on the 2004 novel by Deborah Moggach, Those Foolish Things.  The premise of the book is that a successful forty something man is having issues with his erratic parent and needs to find a stable living arrangement.  The movie moves this theme forward and we have seven retirees choose to leave their native England for India in order to stay in the exotic Magnolia Hotel for the Elderly and Beautiful.  Once committed, the seven wrap up their affairs and begin their journey.  The first hiccup occurs when their connecting flight does not materialize.  They are forced to get to Jaipur by bus and (my favorite) tuk tuk.  When they arrive, Sonny, the hotel manager/part-owner, greets them in classic Asian Rim style, "No Problem." The hotel lacks phone service, clean rooms and is dilapidated.  This culture shock is offset by the energy and beauty of the people, the color, the music and the adventure.  Of course, there is a the doubter, Evelyn, but there is also the Princess Margaret impersonator, Madge, who adjusts to the moment.  The adventures, the personal relationships and the vitality of India combine to make this a wonderful movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment